Search This Blog

Thursday 8 October 2009

An ‘Aye’ for Forty Eyes!

Sorry I’m late in posting this, but there may be some out there who’ve been following the story of Gilad Shalit, the Israeli soldier in captivity who have not heard about, let alone seen, the video clip.

The great and wicked irony is that this two-and-a-half minute film was ‘released’ in lieu of Gilad in exchange for the freedom of 20 Palestinian women prisoners. An ‘aye’ for 40 eyes, indeed!

Translation of video:

“Shalom, I am Gilad, son of Noam and Aviva Shalit, brother of Hadas and Yoel who live in Mitzpeh Hila. My idenity certificate number is 300097029. Today is Monday 14th September, 2009. As you can see I am holding up today's Palestine newspaper. I am reading the newspaper in order to find any piece of information about me, and hoping to find information about my release and my return home, which I hope will be soon. I have been hoping and waiting for a long time for the day on which I shall be released. I hope the present government led by Binyamin Netanyahu will not miss the opportunity to finalise an arrangement for my release, so that my dream of being freed can become a reality. I want to send regards to my family and tell them that I love them and that I miss them a lot and look forward to the day when I shall see them again. Dad, Yoel and Hadas, do you remember the day you came to my army base in Ramat Ha-Golan, on 31st December, 2005? If I am not mistaken it was called "Revaya Bet", we toured the base and took photos on the Merkhava tank, and on one of the old tanks at the entrance to the base. After that, we drove to a restaurant in a Druze village and took photographs at the roadside with the snow-covered Mount Hermon in the background. I want to tell you that I am in good health and the Mojahedin of Azadeen Al-Quassam are treating me very well. Thank you and see you again.”

msniw

No comments: