Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 May 2015

Debbie’s P.A.W.S. in Israel!

Now, here’s a conundrum:

Which UK-born young adult fiction writer with links to Israel also enjoys constructing puzzles?

I’m thinking about Debbie Manber Kupfer who is due in Israel soon to visit her mother, Shirley Manber, a former Karmiel resident now living in Nahariya.

While in the north, Debbie will take the opportunity to bring Shirley to see her old chums and to address an open meeting hosted by the Karmiel Writers’ Group about her work.

Debbie grew up in London, has also spent time in Israel but now lives with her family in St Louis, Missouri, USA where for the past 15 years she has worked as a freelance constructor of word puzzles and logic problems.

A voracious reader and keen writer since early childhood, she recently revealed that she was spurred to publish after becoming ill:

“I started to realise that if I wanted that dream to become a reality I needed to make it happen”, she says. “So in November 2012 I started writing P.A.W.S. during ‘NaNoWriMo’ (National Novel Writing Month). At the end of the month I had written the first draft of my novel, but still didn't really know what to do with it. A few months later I decided to take my prologue to a local writers’ group. At that meeting I met Robin Tidwell of Rocking Horse Publishing and the rest as we like to say is history”.

Debbie’s talk will be at the Karmiel English Speakers’ Club on Tuesday 09 June from 7.00 pm when she will read from her work, answer questions and even donate some of her books to the club library.

© Natalie Wood (27 May 2015)

No comments: