Google+ Badge

Friday, 8 April 2011

Is the English Defence League Just What It Claims?

The English Defence League ‘Supports Israel’

I suppose the English Defence League and its formation has become a classic case of my ‘enemy’s enemy is my friend’.

I should be proud and pleased that a group of non-Jewish English people uses ‘The Degel’ – Israel’s flag – as part of its publicity. But I must point out that the unashamedly Fascist British National Party boasts Jews among its members.

Moreover, I’m more than a little wary of  commentators who place former Tory Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and the late U S Black civil rights leader, Dr Martin Luther King on the same side of the political spectrum. It’s so easy to flex the truth to fit inside a pre-moulded opinion! 

Meanwhile, as I let the EDL’s video clip (above) speak for itself, I’ve also scribbled brief headline notes from the ‘mission statement’ on their website:

  • The EDL protects Human Rights
  • The EDL promotes democracy and the rule of law
  • The EDL supports public education, promoting a balanced picture of Islam
  • The EDL respects and promotes the traditions and culture of England
  • The EDL works ‘in solidarity with others throughout the world’

So now we know. But I’m not yet  entirely convinced.

What does anyone else think?

msniw

Post a Comment