Search This Blog

Friday 8 April 2011

Is the English Defence League Just What It Claims?

The English Defence League ‘Supports Israel’

I suppose the English Defence League and its formation has become a classic case of my ‘enemy’s enemy is my friend’.

I should be proud and pleased that a group of non-Jewish English people uses ‘The Degel’ – Israel’s flag – as part of its publicity. But I must point out that the unashamedly Fascist British National Party boasts Jews among its members.

Moreover, I’m more than a little wary of  commentators who place former Tory Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and the late U S Black civil rights leader, Dr Martin Luther King on the same side of the political spectrum. It’s so easy to flex the truth to fit inside a pre-moulded opinion! 

Meanwhile, as I let the EDL’s video clip (above) speak for itself, I’ve also scribbled brief headline notes from the ‘mission statement’ on their website:

  • The EDL protects Human Rights
  • The EDL promotes democracy and the rule of law
  • The EDL supports public education, promoting a balanced picture of Islam
  • The EDL respects and promotes the traditions and culture of England
  • The EDL works ‘in solidarity with others throughout the world’

So now we know. But I’m not yet  entirely convinced.

What does anyone else think?

msniw

1 comment:

Natalie Wood said...

As is said about Arab terrorist groups - or even so-called 'moderates' in the Palestinian Authority - it seems that the English Defence League says one thing in public and another behind the facade. This is peculiar as the EDL is nothing if not out-spokenly anti radical Islamist!
Readers of this post have opined variously since it was published:

"... You seriously do not want these guys.....the bizarre thing is that on some of their demos the Magen David (Star of David) is occasionally shown...very reminiscent of the protestants in Northen Ireland as a counterfoil to the IRA flying the Palestinian flag in the times of the "Troubles".......all very stange but true!!"

AND

"They remind me of those embarrassing people who ooze up to you and say, "Ooh, you're Jewish, are you? I really support you, I hate Muslims too" (or else they tell you you're the Chosen Race or some such thing) and before you know where you are nobody will come near you because they've seen you talking to this foamy-lipped nut-job they think is your best friend. I don't trust them, because I've overheard the way they talk about us when they don't think anyone is listening. A better saying than "My enemy's enemy etc" is "A dog that will fetch will carry."